Contact Us Today 317-960-5070


Is Your Child Being Unfairly Disciplined

Posted by Amber Boyd | Mar 04, 2019 | 0 Comments

By Amber Boyd

According to a report by the National Black Women's Justice Institute, African American girls are over seven times more likely than Caucasian girls to receive one or more out-of-school suspensions. Do you think your child is suffering from unjust disciplinary action? Be proactive and learn these five key pieces of information. Then take action if it's justified.

1. Know the Law

Title VI of the Civil Rights Act states that any institution receiving federal dollars must not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, or sex. In addition, the courts have highlighted that schools must discipline students in the same way. For example, if two white males are suspended for fighting, then two black males who fight must be suspended.

2. Talk to Your Child

Set aside your anger and disappointment and talk to your child about the incident. Ask your child who was present when the event occurred and what incidents or interactions may have led up to it. Find out whether anyone taped it. Your child is a wealth of knowledge. Don't take some else's story for face value…INVESTIGATE.

3. Talk to the School Administration

Talk to the administration as soon as your child is disciplined. Ask to meet with the school's principal, any officer who was present, and any other adult who saw the altercation. At the meeting, ask the administration why your child is being disciplined and the exact policy your child violated. Request that the administration provide the reason and rationale in writing.

4. Seek Recourse

If you find real evidence that your child is being treated unfairly, contact an attorney. If you are a resident of Indiana, contact the Indiana Civil Rights Commission. Filing a claim could result in compensatory damages for you if the school acted intentionally.

5. Take Preventative Measures

We all know that children don't like telling teachers or administrators when someone is harassing them or treating them badly because they fear it will negatively impact their reputations. But it is your job as a parent to protect your child from harm and obtain a record. Contact the school's administration, inform them of the situation, and help them defuse it.

About the Author

Amber Boyd

Amber K. Boyd is a versatile professional with strong experience in managing complex litigation matters. She founded Amber K. Boyd Attorney at Law in 2013, where she is the sole practitioner. Ms. Boyd specializes in employment law with a focus on discrimination cases. She also has deep expertise ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Amber Boyd Law is committed to answering your questions about Workplace Discrimination, Retaliation, Severance Agreements, Sexual Harassment, Wages And Hour Issues, and Probate law issues in Indianapolis, Indiana.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.