Contact Us Today 317-960-5070


How to File an EEOC Complaint for Workplace Discrimination

Posted by Amber Boyd | Nov 10, 2023 | 0 Comments

Dealing with workplace discrimination can be extremely frustrating. However, filing a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) can be an effective way to address discriminatory treatment.

The EEOC is authorized to investigate claims of discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, and genetic information. They also handle complaints about retaliation for opposing discriminatory practices, taking medical leave, or filing discrimination charges.

If you believe you are experiencing discrimination for any of these reasons, begin documenting details like dates, locations, and any relevant emails or texts. This information can support your case during the EEOC complaint process.

To get started, visit the EEOC website or call 1-800-669-4000 to speak with a representative. You'll need to complete an intake questionnaire providing details about your claim.

After you submit your information, an EEOC investigator may contact you for any necessary follow-up, including an interview. Be prepared to provide as many details as possible about the alleged discrimination.

The investigator will make a determination about whether there is reasonable cause to believe discrimination occurred. If so, the EEOC will first try to reach a settlement between you and your employer.

If attempts at settlement are unsuccessful, you can choose to file a lawsuit yourself or request the EEOC file one on your behalf. Due to limited resources, the EEOC only files suits for a small fraction of the charges.

Lawsuits can be lengthy, but if you prevail you may obtain remedies like stopping the discriminatory acts, reinstatement, back pay, or other damages.

Workplace discrimination is challenging to deal with, but filing an EEOC complaint can help you seek justice. The process involves detailed documentation and interviews, and lawsuits can be lengthy. If at any time you need help understanding your rights or navigating the complaint process, don't hesitate to consult an attorney who specializes in employment law. They can provide guidance on putting together the strongest case possible and give you the best chance of obtaining remedies. Let me know if you have any other questions!

About the Author

Amber Boyd

Amber K. Boyd is a versatile professional with strong experience in managing complex litigation matters. She founded Amber K. Boyd Attorney at Law in 2013, where she is the sole practitioner. Ms. Boyd specializes in employment law with a focus on discrimination cases. She also has deep expertise ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Us Today

Amber Boyd Law is committed to answering your questions about Workplace Discrimination, Retaliation, Severance Agreements, Sexual Harassment, Wages And Hour Issues, and Probate law issues in Indianapolis, Indiana.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.